In sailing season 2018 we sailed in familiar waters at the Baltic Sea and broke no mileage records.
The winter 2018-2018 Stella Polaris stayed in the water in Falsterbo kanal, Sweden, while the crew enjoyed the warmer climate of Las Palmas, Gran Canary.
We returned from Las Palmas to Sweden mid-Feb 2018. After housesitting Saku’s mother’s house for couple of weeks, the plan was to settle back to the boat. But the winter was exceptionally snowy and cold in south Sweden and therefore our return to Stella Polaris was postponed a month.
Finally, on 18th of April 2018, the sailing season 2018 began and we set sails and started our journey from south Sweden to Helsinki, Finland, a.k.a. home.
- 22.5.2018 arriving to Helsinki, Finland after…
- 717 days “on the road”
- 12 countries
- 6271 nm – From Finland to north Africa and back
- 888 nautical miles in 2018
- 48 sailing legs
- Shortest leg: 1.3 nm (within Suomenlinna)
- Longest leg: 67.9 nm (Waxholm to Maarianhamina)
- Average leg length: 18.5 nm
- 108 engine hours
- 3 countries: Sweden, Finland & Estonia
- 18 big, small or tiny islands
- 14 guest marinas
- The warmest May in decades followed by the warmest summer in years – just what we needed!
- Hundreds of crazy bees everywhere
- Enjoyed the Finnish summer idyll: sea, sailing & sauna
After returning home, settling to our new apartment and starting in our new jobs, we did a bike&sail summer tour to Estonia and explored the rocky islands close to Helsinki. We loved the laid back days ashore moored to different rocky islets and were really lazy sailors.
Our plan for the sailing season 2019 is yet undefined – stay tuned…
Sanna, Saku & Anton